Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Week!

I've been in Ghana for a week now. I'm slowly starting to get over the initial culture shock and I'm starting to get used to how everything here works.
My family is fantastic; they welcomed me very warmly and did their best to make me feel at home immediately. My sisters all love movies and tv shows, so we've spent a fair amount of time watching tv in my sisters' room. The movies they show here are in part similar to the ones we're used to at home, but there are also lots of local Ghanaian and Nigerian films, and South American soap operas. The African and South American movies are quite different from European and North American movies: the acting style is MUCH more dramatic, with long long pauses and exciting music that accompanies the most important phrases of the dialogues.
Before I left, the thing I was the most curious about was the food: I had no idea what the food here was going to be like, because I had never even heard of most of the ingredients they use here (Cocoyams, Cassava, etc.) I was happy to discover that I quite like the food here, even though I am still having trouble getting used to the size of the portions! One of the things I have eaten the most since I got here are plantains, which look almost exactly like bananas but taste quite differently and cannot be eaten raw. So far I've had: boiled plantain, fried plantain, roasted plantain and kelewele (plantains flavored with ginger, pepper and onions before being fried).
I have so much more things to talk about and describe concerning my life here in Ghana, but the time on the internet cafe' is running out so I should log off, I'll write again after I have my initial orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment