Sunday, August 21, 2011

Less than two weeks to go

It's been over four weeks since my last entry, and this time has been amazingly uneventful. I've mostly spent this month sorting out the last details before my departure (visa, malaria meds, vaccinations, etc) and waiting for the time to pass; feeling like I should be making every last second here in Italy memorable, but not really knowing how.
I've started saying goodbye to everyone, but my departure doesn't feel completely real yet. It probably won't until I'm sitting on the plane in Frankfurt leaving behind everything and everyone I know.

My pre-departure nervousness and fear of homesickness aside, I feel incredibly fortunate and blessed to even have the opportunity of going abroad for a year; let alone of going to such an amazing and welcoming country as Ghana! I've dreamed about being an exchange student for about as long as I can remember and knowing that in 12 days it's actually going to happen is unbelievable.

 On a side note: I was reading "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith, when I came across I phrase about Ghanaians which made me smile so I decided to share it since I don't usually come across many references to Ghana.

"Ghanaians were Mma Ramotswe's favorite people; they had a wonderful sense of humor and were almost inevitably in a good mood."

Thanks for reading, I'll try to write soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment